PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 200 hr TT instructors, A waste of space?
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2003, 14:38
Cypher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree along the lines of Student-pilot, when I was looking at doing my instructors rating at 200 hours TT, I had the same thought. What the heck do I have to pass onto a student that thinks the world of you..?

Over here in NZ, every man and his dog has a instructor rating, you won't get very far without one here so I finally did my instructor's rating at about 360 hours TT. This was after a stint doing scenics, charter and survey.

I've never done a straight comparison between my instructing and a 200 hour instructor, but my students have.
I think I'll let them speak for themselves...

I think putting a minimum experience level for new instructors is a great idea, harsh I know for low timers, but when you teach someone else how to fly, you have a big responsibility. I don't think many people can grasp that.

Maybe a idea would be to limit low time instructors in what they could teach, maybe only basic manerovres and basic procedures within a 25nm radius of the airfield, for a limited amount of the student's flight time. i.e only 25 hours per student, allowing a more experienced instructor to finish off the training?
At the moment, a C-Cat instructor in New Zealand, or a Grade 3, can teach everything up to CPL level. Maybe if a C-Cat or Grade 3 who wants to teach upto CPL level, should have to have a minimum amount of flight time before they can do it..

Last edited by Cypher; 6th May 2003 at 14:51.