PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BOI into the 2012 Tornado Collision over the Moray Firth
Old 1st Jul 2014, 15:34
Bob Viking

Received 554 Likes on 152 Posts
BOI into the 2012 Tornado Collision over the Moray Firth

MadBob
Don't get me started on the survival equipment and beacons that the RCAF issue. It's not as great as you may think!
Deliverance
The Hawk T2s will have TCAS on all the time apart from a few notable times which are specifically briefed. For example BFM sorties to avoid nuisance warnings but will usually only happen in segregated airspace.
In this scenario (if both aircraft had been T2s) they would both have had TCAS on. They would probably turn it off once they had entered the range pattern. They would have been well aware of the position of the other aircraft using the TCAS screen. It is actually very well integrated in the Hawk T2. I'm not sure how it would be displayed in a GR4.
The nuisance warnings and constant trips and resets (the TCAS doesn't handle any kind of dynamic manouvering very well) are the downside of the system. It does at least auto reset nowadays but still leads to constant AVBIT warnings especially in range type sorties.
I hope that makes sense.
BV