PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The right path?
Thread: The right path?
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2003, 13:20
aero979

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the right path

I definately agree... thinking back now the biggest mistake I made was doing my CPL at a place that only offered instructing, ie no charter. I have been out of the industry now for about 10 months, and very close to getting back in, but after looking around there are big schools that offer charter as part of their business also - though you won't find these in Sydney. I have had knockbacks from a few, saying that they will only employ pilots that they have trained.

Having a degree will help, but as I am about to start one, I am not going to pursue one in Aviation. Everyone will tell you always to have something to fall back on, incase you loose an arm or a leg and you no longer fit to fly. I am commencing a Bachelor of Commerce, via correspondence, followed by an MBA.

My last piece of advice is get your theory done early! ATPLs are a pain the behind when you are working 8am to 6 pm, and earning hardly anything to show for it. Beleive me the last thing you will want to do when you get home, or on your days off is study.

Good Luck with it all.