PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - X Country in CA
Thread: X Country in CA
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2003, 12:49
SKYYACHT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FLYING IN SOCAL

Lewy Boy,

Get checked out for Catalina Island - and walk down into Avalon. Its about the only place in the US that I have been charged a landing fee - and it goes to the parks service. beautiful place! Big Bear has already been suggested, but I would also suggest a trip to Santa Barbara which is quite beautiful. If you get the opportunity, and want to do something a bit different, check out the VFR Corridor that runs N/S directly overhead KLAX. I recall that the procedure used to be something like pick up the xxx radial off LAX, and if going S to N fly at (say) 3,000' self announce on yyy.yyMhz, and sqauwk 1201.......quite an experience.
If museums are your thing, I also suggest the museum at Chino, which is excellent.

Following on from the "Vomit Comet" comment, if you go through the Banning Pass, and into Palm Sribgs, that is also a good experience.......On a hot day it took me about 20 minutes in a circling climb to get sufficient altitude to get back through the pass....it was about 100 degree F and performance of a normally aspirated Warrior wasnt great, especially with two on board!

You should have some good fun.

Enjoy it,

Blue skies..