PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Islamic Jihadist Upheaval In the UK a USA Threat?
Old 1st Jul 2014, 11:28
Hempy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jollygreengiant64
Am I the only one that feels terrorism isn't quite as much of a serious threat as, say, the the constant decline of our National influence in the world and the ability to take what we need from anywhere in the world, should the time come that we need to?

If 'they' (bad they, not good they) wanted to really do some catastrophic damage, there are ways. You can't convince me that that this country is locked down tight to smuggled individuals and weapons, and that MI5 and the rest of the security services can track every potential explosive ingredient, privately hired aircraft and every small boat that turns up on our shore in the middle of the night.

Just look at the Mumbai attacks.

But then I do have a terminal case of cynicism and might just be wrong.
I wouldn't say it is perpetuated by Western governments, but it's certainly encouraged in a sense.

Considering the economic weight of military spending $/GDP, in order to keep the great unwashed satisfied with having their tax dollars spent hand over fist on tanks, fighters and submarines, there needs to be an enemy.

The Soviets did a great job keeping Americans in employment for 45 years. The move to the Middle East started the year after they finished..