PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet2 evacuation at Blackpool
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2014, 11:24
Backseat Dane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OWE instructions

As SLF I have a question, which was alluded to earlier on in this thread. In the past I have taken the seat next to the overwing exit. I' ve thoroughly read and inwardly digested the instructions for opening the door in an emergency, one flight attendant even commenting "i see you're training yourself". Now, in a catastrophic accident I would be quite keen and happy to get that door open. But no-one has ever told me what would happen if there was, say, a potential problem on my side of the a/c when things weren't quite so obviously 'get out or die'. Are further instructions given ? Logic suggests yes, but what form would they take?
The last time I flew as SLF seated at a OWE the cabin attendant gave an instruction in how to operate the door adding that I shouldn't open it on my own initiative but wait for an evacuation order from the CC unless there was heavy smoke and/or flames in the cabin AND: Take a look through the window and make an assessment of the situation outside before actually opening the door. "You don't want to exit onto a wing that's on fire" were pretty much the exact words she gave.