PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - dc3 stall characteristics
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2003, 10:55
pigboat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CG, thanks for the info. Too bad they were unable to certify the thing. I believe that is the original military C-47 that was on floats during WWII. I remember an article in Air Classics on the work they did to get the aircraft operational. Incredible.

John, we never did any stalls with full flaps, just one quarter flaps and around 18 inches of MP, as I recall. However we waited 'till we got the break and the accompanying roll before recovering. We always used tail low wheel landings, never three pointed it even on short strips or on skis. In a crosswind it was full wheel landings and then just a nudge of forward stick to pin it on. On ski take-offs, the normal procedure was to add one quarter flap after the tail came up, and then ease the thing off. I seem to recall the airspeed would be around 70-75 kt or so, below VMC, anyway. We also used that technique if the dirt strips we operated out of were sloppy.
Another company here operated three DC-3s with the Goodyear x-wind gear installed. I never got to fly one of their machines, but did jumpseat a couple of times. The last item on the pre take-off checklist was to caster the gear, and in a crosswind you'd be looking down the runway from the dv window. A real pecker of an operation. I always thought it defeated the basic rules of aircraft handling.