PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Am I pursuing a doomed career ?
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2014, 08:03
Piltdown Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Technology is not the factor that will determine the World's demand for pilots. There will always be the need for pilots, even if all front line combat aircraft are RPVs. Someone will still have to fly personnel, equipment and materiel from one place to another. Also, I doubt if software of sufficient quality will be developed in the near future (30 years or so) to enable pilot-less operations of public transport aircraft. What will determine if you will have a career are as far as you are personally concerned are ability, fitness, health, personality and academic background; all of which you are addressing. Unfortunately the most important and controlling factor, over which you gave no control, is the supply of lemmings. As I type I believe there are far too many newly qualified, inexperienced wannabes clogging up the system. Their presence is driving down the terms and conditions for their peers so such a low level as to make flying a worthless career. Yes, a few lucky ones might do very well, but the majority will not.

Lastly, this is not a career I'd recommend to any of my three children the reason given above. Fly for pleasure, absolutely, but not for a living.

PM