PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qatar Airways hiring Second Officers
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2014, 04:21
Luke SkyToddler

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
You guys need to understand the different mentality down there

Most of the office clerks come from a certain continent where corruption and bribery is an accepted way of doing business

If they call someone for interview, and, subsequent to that, somebody else makes contact through a friend-of-a-friend and offers a little gift to someone to "fast track" their CV, you might suddenly find that there's been an "error" in your application

It's just the way of life down there, every month on the roster you might find that the nice Bali or Zurich flight you used all your bidding points for, gets taken off you by SMS the night before (and normally replaced with something horrific like Khartoum or Dhaka). Check who replaced you on the flight, it's always the same handful of names. I was offered on a couple of occasions if I would like to pay QR2000 a month for "custom roster" , and in the time I was there one very senior management pilot was kicked out after he was blatantly caught charging his old mates from Jet Airways $US20,000 for direct entry command positions.

I'm not saying that everyone in the company has joined like that and I'm not saying it's impossible to get in without connections, but I am saying don't be surprised if your application gets rejected after initially being successful, there's other forces at play.