PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Processor speed increase
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2014, 22:21
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts
My wife has a little Acer and uses it for a surprising number of tasks. As I lugged my 16" Vaio across the Atlantic I envied her the compactness of her machine. However, I paid some young chap $275 for this quad i7 beastie and I'm sure there must be the equivalent deals over here - albeit, pound for dollar. Prior to that I picked up an Asus i5 exec toy, $1,400 new, for $295.

Both were fully advertised and the owner's companies found to be real.

The Asus was fantastic, but had no DVD on board. But 6 hours running and a 17 second boot from its SSD drive was kind of neat to have. And that was after I partitioned the disc and got rid of the Fast Boot partition! W8.1 was the bugbare for me, though it flew on W7 which sadly was not a valid copy so I sold it with the 8.1 that MS sold me for $45 with full key. Even MS can be nice sometimes.

So these deals are about despite the need for a bit of fixing now and then. This one had fluff in the heat exchanger and that may well be the reason I got it cheap - but once I found time to do it was remedied in less than 30 mins.

I feel making the little Acer go faster would be like supercharging a perpendicular Popular.