PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2014, 21:05
Wee Ronny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the welcome

Hi

Thanks for your good wishes on my "first Solo" and IO didn't even take 8 hours to get there.

My dad flew the Vengeance with 84 Squadron a quite few times as the Mosquito's were delayed more than once. They did have issues but luckily my dad never had any with his serial RF699 it made it through a monsoon on the way back from Saigon in Oct 1945. when he landed the squadron Engineer pushed a pencil through the wing leading edge. This aircraft ended up as a "Christmas Tree" as that was all it was fit for. my dad said he always believed "his mossie" would always get him home and it did. If anyone reads the "Scorpion sting" by Don Neate can read all about the issues with the Mosquito with 84 squadron. (and my dad's time with them)
My dad broke his arm paying football and was off flying for 12 weeks so he never really was exposed to any possible problems with them.
84 Squadron is the only RAF unit not have been stationed in the UK since 1917 -18. They were in iraq then the Western Desert till 1941 and went to the Far East and suffered huge losses in the retreat to Java.

I have never heard Mike Warren called Bunny or any mention by him on Lightnings in the 1970's. I have spoken to the owner of the 619 squadron facebook site and he too can't find any trace of him in 619 ORB. So he is still a mystery folks. He does have a big group of medals and awards but even these don't help us much as they seem a bit odd. The little badge on his Jacket is the UK Veterans lapel badge not a Squadron badge. He has the Aircrew Europe & Italy Stars with a Defence medal. there is a year to 18 months worth of service alone after he joined a unit. I can see an MID on his War Medal too, so that must be listed in the London Gazette. He also has a Territorial Decoration & an Air Efficiency Medal which can account for over 28 years of service in the TA and the RAuxAF. I can't find him on the RAF Lists but Mike could be a middle name or even a alias of sorts, so there no easy answers to be found.
maybe time will tell.

Cheers

Alastair