PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 200 hr TT instructors, A waste of space?
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2003, 08:40
engine out

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I haven't instructed for about three years due to making the move to a big jet for the extra cash but really wish I hadn't, I much preffered the satisfaction of watching my students progress from nervous first time flying virgin to competent PPL/CPL or higher. Just thought perhaps throw another aspect at the fire, if it is thought that people passing CPL shouldn't instruct at first then perhaps we are not training them to a high enough level in the first place? Somebody who has just past a a CPL should have a very preficient level of flying ability, and capability which from my experience will only deteriorate slowly if not constantly checked, pushed or used. If a 400hr limit was brought in what is to say that people won't stooge around taking friends around the town for easy joyflights then become an instructor, will this have increased there flying ability by only flying on nice days?
A grade three instructor needs to be supervised to ensure what they are doing is correct and remains correct and that they are giving best value to the student by teaching the correct technique first time, and every time. We should all remember that we are always learning.
The motivation issue as why people become an instructor will always be there no matter what hours you put as a minimum as people will always seek what they feel is the best route to the objective and if they think they can hour build that way they always will.
Instructor pay is always a hot topic, I agree to keep people in the industry they need to pay the award, I left due to money. However the key problem is how much a student is willing to pay to learn. hire rates are always increasing with fuel costs getting high, insurance, local councils trying to use airports as cash cows and charging higher and higher landing fees plus maintenance cost (not to mention poor Aus$ v's the greenback) and that the aircraft are getting older and older. Charge more for instructor as well then we price ourself's out of the market, unless operators want to run at less of a profit. If the government would do something about the mess it has left GA in perhaps an instructor could earn an honest wage. However I do reckon that many schools could increase the pitance it pays staff especially those who expect you to be there five days a week and do all the office duties, plane washing etc and still only pay per flying hour so after a full-time wek even though classed as a casual you still end up with more than $50 in your pocket. I even know of a school that is about to hit the 10 year mark since the last pay rise to staff even though hire rates have gone up yearly.
Anyway enough of my preaching, here endeth the surmon.