PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pitch-up Upsets due to ILS False Glide Slope
Old 30th Jun 2014, 16:01
drfaust

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everyone's learned about false glideslopes in the benches, but I'm afraid the false G/S nor the automation was the problem here. Sure an Airbus won't give you a stick shaker in that position, but regardless of that, I think the plane reacted the way it's designed to react.

I don't think the crew of that plane views this event as anything different than their own mess, coupled with ATC. Somehow I also doubt that they don't know all these facts we're all regurgitating here. It was a cocked-up approach with some unexpected autopilot/autothrottle behavior. I don't fly the 737 so whether it should be unexpected or not is hard for me to say. However the result was that they binned it and put her down safely the next time around, job well done in my book.

We all make mistakes and missed approaches, they recovered theirs quickly and professionally. I don't understand why the Dutch Safety Board had to conduct a whole investigation to confirm what every pilot worth his license already knows about false glide slopes. Might have been more useful to remind the aviation community that the phrase 'request delaying vectors' is not somehow an admission of utter incompetence, but is to be used where appropriate.

Or am I missing something?