PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Am I pursuing a doomed career ?
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2014, 21:02
blue_ashy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The RAF is the perfect way to become a pilot but I would also look into what else the RAF can offer you such as any sports you like or similar. Do not underestimate the mental and physical demands that taking this route will place upon you because I think just being a pilot for that sake might not be enough in the forces. The military is a much different cookie to the commercial route and you will certainly need to consider your own qualities and think whether you would be happy in the longer term. I would imagine though it is one of the most fulfilling careers for the right type of person.

Speaking as an Aerospace Engineer I really doubt anyone wants to see the pilot being taken out of the cockpit in the commercial world for obvious reasons but that is another discussion. In the defense sector a lot of work is indeed progressing into pilotless aircraft and it is quite simply because of the obvious human factor involved and the relatively small expense of the existing smaller aircraft. It is also because in the last decade we have been staging war against what is mostly ground targets. The existing drones we have are extremely effective at engaging ground targets and in human terms they never cost us anything which is good for publicity and politicians! I do not know however of any UAV capable of effectively engaging in air to air combat versus a capable aircraft and pilot.

I wouldn't worry about that side of things. Technology is moving fast but it is limited by cost and there being a sizable market to develop the product. The market currently for new UAV's to replace our current aircraft is essentially non-existant because there is already expensive projects like the F-35 which have yet to even enter service.