PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Iraq receives fighter jets.
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2014, 11:50
Lowe Flieger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Conflict in the middle east invariably involves belligerent rhetoric. Unrealistic claims of military capability are therefore not unknown. In this case it may be either to try to spook the insurgents or reassure a population rightly asking what the government is doing to restore order.

What residual capability to arm, operate and support these aircraft still exists in Iraq is a moot point. This is an instance of dire need so standards will be secondary to getting the aircraft to the front line. Even so, operational capability a few days after delivery of the aircraft is asking a lot. Unless this is some sort of of sharp-end PFI where a complete 'service package' is provided - aircraft, weaponry, crew, ground-crew spares, and so on. I'm sure, officially, it could all be done as it seems to have been done in Ukraine, that is, without the Russian military taking any active part.

I suppose there is the possibility that this deal has been in progress for some time and has only come to light because of the circumstances. That could shorten the time to OC, but it still looks a challenge. Perhaps they could get one in the air for a few show of force passes over Tikrit? I can't recall if there have been any reports of the insurgents having any MANPADS or other effective point defence against low-flying jets.

LF