PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 29th Jun 2014, 08:22
ancientaviator62

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Now and again a lucky few of us would get a trip that could be described as a 'jolly'. My definition of a 'jolly' is one that goes to nice/interesting places, late starts and short days and coupled with cheap food and beer. Your definition may be different ! The trip I am going to describe fits my definition.
The more mature reader may remember that as well as NATO we had CENTO and SEATO. When I was in FEAF the SEATO top brass used to visit one or more of the member counties once a year. The trip I did was the SEATO visit to Thailand. We took 76 senior officers in our 'K' (not one complained not even the RAF contingent) on the following itinerary.
Changi-Bangkok
Bangkok-U-Tapao
U-Tapao-Korat
Korat-Ubon
Ubon-Nakhon Phanom
Nakon Phanom-Chang Mai
Chang Mai-Bangkok
Bangkok-Changi
Everywhere was a night stop (2 in Chang Mai) and the longest flight was 2.45
from Bangkok to Changi. Definitely a 'jolly'.
The pics (I am missing probably the same number again) were taken at different places, and which was where I know not. No doubt someone out there may know.
First pic is the 'portrait of the artist as a young man' wondering if they would let him fly it on his PPL ! I invite the readership to identify the a/c involved.