PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying a Cub - tips?
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2014, 05:30
Fantome

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Twenty-nine posts well worth the read. Thanks lads and lassies.
Serves to remind of the most vital, overriding aspect of maintaining
proficiency . . . never ever do you stop learning. . . stop refreshing. .
. . . unless you are so complacent you think you know it all . . . or
have stopped thinking entirely . . . because you simply can't be bothered
making the effort.

J.A.F.O.'s long post is excellent. When he describes the landscape
with such acute appreciation it is akin to the glorious images
conjured up by the late Hal Penrose in Airymouse and Cloud Cuckooland.

by J.A.F.O. -

He guided me to Deenethorpe along a track he knew well; pointing out the site of Fotheringhay Castle, where Mary lost her head, the faint tracks of Roman roads still marking the landscape beneath, crop marks that showed where people had lived two thousand years before, looking up at this sky that was now mine. Green fields bordered by darker hedgerows; the occasional church spire in a far off village; clouds of dust following harvesting tractors; fluffy white cumulus clouds in the unending blue above and around me; the feel of an aeroplane that wanted to fly and almost seemed to enjoy this as much as me.

Beautiful poetic waffle? Not a bit of it. It is the perfect counter to the
thought and practice that go into keeping your hand in with the practicalities
of flying your aeroplane proficiently. Always.

Watching an eighty-five year old bloke flying his Pitts S2B yesterday brought to mind the thought that not only is he doing it because he can, but moreover because it is a tonic that keeps him on the ball , with his passion for wings alive and thriving. When you're on a good thing. . . . stick to it .. Reckon that's Allan's motto.

Getting the hand and eye (and feet) in flying a mate's Rapide lately has been a challenge and a highly satisfying experience. As often remarked, once you get the feel of the old girl and be ready just after take-off or on approach to pick up a wing with bags of rudder , not just aileron, as a tip stall can ruin your day., . . . .she feels and progresses as stately as a galleon. Landings. . .. . so far, every one has been a piece of piss. .. .
As someone said on this thread about another taildragger's characteristics . . she just lands herself. The hardest thing about a DH89 is taxying in any kind of a breeze .. . . you need four hands and four arms and the flexibility of a contortionist. Seems the type has a history of nose overs . .
Surely that would be with an empty plane. . . as with the parachutes gone . . .With a full cabin of adults she does not seem to have the slightest tendency
to want to pitch up. Glad of a long airstrip though .. . as attempting a short fielder and heaving back on the brake lever. . . . . not on your nellie.

Last edited by Fantome; 29th Jun 2014 at 17:00.