PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2014, 15:03
Ormeside28

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gaining An R.A.F.Pilots Brevet in WW11

After flying Wellingtons at Swinderby I was posted to the Hastings Conversion Unit at Dishforth. We had two weeks ground school to show us the Hastings systems but unfortunately, bad weather and lack of aircraft meant that we did not fly. On the 4th February I was posted to Topcliffe, just down the road from Dishforth.
Topcliffe at that time was home to two Hastings Squadrons. No 24 VIP and No 47. I went to 47. Topcliffe was a pre war base and very comfortable. During the War it had housed Royal Canadian Air Force Lancasters and Halifaxes.
On 6th February the King died. Princess Elizabeth and Prince Philip were on a Commonwealth tour using the Shaw Savill liner "Gothic" as a Royal Yacht. They were in Kenya and Gothic was in Mombasa.
I had just gone to bed that night when the orderly sergeant came to my room and asked me if I wanted to go to Esst Africa in the morning. Of Course! We took off at 6 am, on the 7th and I had my first lesson over France. Obviously Ok and I was able to take my turn in the front seat. We carried two Captains, two Navigators ,Two sSignallers, two Engineers and an Air Quartermaster and me.
We flew to El Adem , nine hours, stopped for an hour to refuel the aircraft and ourselves and away again through the night to Mombasa. The navigators worked hard, no aids then climbing up for astro sights, and conscious of high ground to our left in Ethiopia. We reached Mombasa 23 hours after leaving Topcliffe, had brea,fast and a sleeps and back to the aircraft to meet passengers and freight. We carried Admiral Lambe and his staff and the new Queens luggage . Off again at 1800 with a stop for an hour at Khartoum, same at Castle Benito - later known as Idris. - And so to London Airport as it was. Said goodbye to our passengers and had a meal in the Airport restaurant laid on for us by the Queen's Equerry who thanked us, and we did the first R.A.F. Duty for the new Queen. Then back to Topcliffe late on the 10th. More to come.