PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1.5 Factor Of Safety - FAR 25.303
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2014, 14:48
Owain Glyndwr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speed as such is not a 'load'. 2.5g at 250kts and a given weight/CG is the same load on the structure as 2.5g at 150 kts and that weight/CG (those speeds chosen to eliminate compressibility effects). The loadings are defined at specific speeds so speed cannot really be also subject to a 1.5 factor.

Yes, I understand the Flutter Free margin (1.15 or 1.2VD) is only based on theoretical calculations and never demonstrated, and it is for equivalent airspeed at both constant mach and altitude (meaning no changes in static or dynamic pressure which might induce flutter at a lower speed).
Not sure what you have in mind here. Equivalent airspeed defines dynamic pressure so Vd at any altitude gives the maximum dynamic pressure there. Flutter gets more likely as dynamic pressure increases so lower speeds are less critical.

But the VG envelope is not increased by such a margin due to the fact the VG includes G loads, and therefore would induce flutter above Vd. Correct?
I've never heard of anyone checking flutter at speeds above Vd/Md combined with pulling 'g'. The aircraft is of course cleared for flutter at Vd/Md and 1.5g (at least) as that is part of the Vdf/Mdf demonstration. The additional calculated margins are intended to make sure that there is no 'cliff edge' just beyond Vd/Md

Would I also be correct to say that the "Overspeed Margin" in the above VG diagram is the 10% margin between Vne and Vd as defined under FAR 23.1505?

Or is there some other margin above Vne in a VG diagram under FAR Part 23?
Sorry, I thought from your OP that you were asking about Part 25 aircraft. I'm not sufficiently familiar with Part 23 to give you a reliable answer