PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Am I pursuing a doomed career ?
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2014, 08:56
Callsign Kilo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So you want to be a pilot?

I know nothing of the military (RAF) however with the continuous budget cuts and subsequent squadron/base relocations or even closures, the path to becoming a military pilot will be more competitive and the resultant career may be less stable than it once may have been?

From a civil perspective (I'm a 737 Captain) I wouldn't worry about the advancements in technology threatening the job of a commercial pilot. What I am, and if I were you, should be concerned about is it being a sustainable career choice. With very little sponsorships available, the cost of training is immense. Some NEVER see any return, completely disillusioned by the way airlines choose to recruit. People with a CPL (commercial pilot licence) simply cut their loses and drift away from aviation altogether. I have witnessed this on several occasions. Even ex military pilots who, once upon a time, were pretty much guaranteed 'right of passage' to the airlines now find it difficult to find suitable employment as mainline and lo-co carriers side towards the integrated MPL (multi-crew pilot licence) 200 hour 'wonder kid' with limited handling experience and zero solo time. It's allegedly all about 'training risk' and 'cost' these days. Actual experience seems to play second fiddle.

The career and job market is a global one so you will find yourself being forced to look further and further afield. As a previous poster has stated, the UK is slightly saturated; so options can be limited. I know several UK citizens plying their trade across Europe, India and the Mid to Far East. I'll include myself here. They would all like to come home some day however opportunities plus current terms and conditions prevent this from being an option. To add perspective we are talking about experienced jet rated FOs and Captains, many with wide body time. Some with up to 10,000 hours flight time and greater. Ex military pilots, flight instructors and examiners, TRIs (Type Rating Instructors) and TREs (Type Rating Examiners).

This isn't an attempt to put you off, more an attempt to provide you with a little reality. Professional flying isn't what it was way back when. It isn't glamorous in any way whatsoever and is often moderately paid rather than well paid; in some cases it is poorly paid. You are a necessity but at the same time a number and a cost, much like you are with many other careers. It can be fatiguing, it can be challenging and in many cases, boring. My best advice is to develop a real passion for aviation, do some flying (in a school/club with a good training reputation) and develop sound handling skills. Get some experience in the world before you commit to aviation in order for you to understand things from a different perspective. If you do decide to go for it (commercially) be cautious of all the marketing spin offered by the large schools, much of it is bullsh1t.

To finalise, I've had the office job with the long hours and the grinding commute. I don't want to go back to it however at the same time I can often be left frustrated with my aviation life. I still however enjoy the job for what it offers. You need to or else you'll go insane!

Hope this helps. Best of luck

Last edited by Callsign Kilo; 28th Jun 2014 at 09:18.