PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AirTanker First Officers
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2014, 06:37
Al R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I certainly don't want to get into a scrap about it. I have three businesses, send me your contact details - under the right circumstances, you're quite welcome to take a look at any of them so that your opinion will be informed and reliable - not erroneous. I didn't say TC was about to go bust. I said "what if?". It's a fair minded question, especially given TC's well documented turbulent commercial roller coaster of a history. I'm sure someone has considered it, but if there are a dozen aircrew or so, all funded by Harriet Green, do you really think JV partners will be at the top of the list of any administrators concerns?

I liked TC because at the time, there was only one way up for it, and a feisty and spicy boss was about to be parachuted in. I invested a very modest part of my play fund.. doing so served the purposes of said fund as a bit of something to provide alpha/volatility. Nothing more, nothing less. Would I buy it now to achieve same? If I had different objectives, I would look at the stock in a different light. I wouldn't ask if we had a surplus of footy fans looking for somewhere warm to drown their sorrows. I'd look at how much its fuel hedging was (at the time I looked I recall, only 90% or so but the oil price was going south, is it still?), and why it's cost saving, selling and consolidating (wasn't there an issue at Bristol recently, when there was no cover for an ill pilot?) all over the place.

I look at TC in the same light. I (as in my opinion) don't think it IS well placed to capitalise on an upswing, I think it might be exposed too if the price of oil soars (didn't it have to levy a fuel subsidy a few years ago?) - that is my personal opinion, it does not make it erroneous. I think TC suffers from the British malaise of generally, under capitalisation, it's always running hot, there never seems to be much meat on the bone. That doesn't make it bad.. for someone who might have different objectives and priorities, it will look different and attractive - Green has been superb at paying down the debt. I think that it is being geared towards a sell off; if that view floats your boat, you might take a long term position.

I really like Thomas Cook.. having a couple of commercial analyst mates living a few miles away and working in Peterborough has certainly helped. By contrast, today I'm researching a UK based company for me, one which is well placed to be a preferred supplier in French DIY chains just as the French government introduces legislation to cancel domestic home insurance if a smoke detector isn't fitted. It has appeal for my play fund but/and as a long term placing, you have to ask if we will one day have similar legislation..? If so, should I put a little less (if that is possible!) in? Finally, you're right - repainting is pointless so let it remain lo-viz grey. Lots of kudos for Harriet to be associated with the RAF. Apols for the thread drift. Pax, out.