PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Choice of plane for PPL
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2014, 23:00
taybird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As an instructor I love the C152. It's honest, the view out is good, and it can handle all kinds of student abuse. When I was pre-solo, I flared at 10 feet in an Aerobat, put 4G on the G meter, but the main gear still coped with it just fine.
I personally dislike the PA28, but it's an honest enough trainer too. The view out isn't as good and it doesn't feel as nice to fly, in my opinion. But it does a reasonable job and I am perfectly happy to teach in it.

I have flown a number of different aircraft types including the Eurostar and other microlights. The Eurostar is a delightful aircraft, very responsive, but for that reason and it's fragility I wouldn't choose it to instruct on. It's a lovely aircraft to move on to. Its gust penetration and crosswind limits are definitely factors to consider along with the fact it wasn't designed specifically as a trainer. The same is true for most other light aircraft that are currently available as "trainers".

Cessnas and Pipers are often dated and quite tatty - overheads and profit margins mean that cosmetics are sacrificed in order to make sure that the aircraft is fundamentally airworthy. But those same Cessnas and Pipers have taught generation after generation of pilots to fly, and survived it well. They were designed to do a job and do it well, and that is to teach people to fly. Additionally, maintenance is relatively easy to do. Hence their success and I would happily teach in them all day long and recommend them to anyone. I do wish schools would try to invest a little more on the cosmetics, however, since impressions do count for potential new students.

I've flown some more modern aircraft and while the kit can be very impressive, and for the business flyer or advanced pilot they are very nice, I am still not convinced as to their appropriateness as a trainer.

That said, it depends whether you want to learn to fly for fun or if you are hell bent on going for an airline job and have no interest in little aeroplanes except as a stepping stone. If that's the case, perhaps a DA40 would be worth considering.

Whatever you do, enjoy.