PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - After the PPL
Thread: After the PPL
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2014, 22:07
thing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just visit places. I get a lot out of going to new places and seeing what they are like, it's a good way to see the country, plus you're going further than you would in a car in the same time. It's nice to fly into a small grass strip with a pub within walking distance, just a pleasant thing to do. I've been abroad a few times, that's good to do although I don't speak much of any mainland European language apart from 'two large beers please' so that can be a bit of a hurdle but the old translator job on the iPhone works well.

We all get different things out of it. A guy I know is a top aerobatic pilot and the worst thing about flying to him is transiting to a comp. He hates flying in straight lines. Some guys just like the kudos of being a pilot and like pulling up at places where there will be an audience. Nothing wrong with any of it, you do whatever floats your boat.

I glide as well, so that satisfies other things that I like to do. The thing to do is try different stuff and see what you like, you will invariably finish up with a mix of what people have mentioned here. The important thing is to enjoy whatever it is you do, otherwise it's a bloody expensive way to be miserable; and don't listen to anyone who says 'You're not a pilot unless you fly a twin engined triplane with floats.' just wave two fingers and get on with doing whatever it is you want to do.