PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Very British Airline?
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2014, 21:42
ExSp33db1rd

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
He used to carry his suitcase on the flight deck...........
Reminds me .... crew used to buy baskets of fruit from the Nairobi market, but due to their weight they were advised to liase with the Captain as to the likelihood of the aircraft being able to flight plan direct to London, or make a refuelling stop in Rome before making their purchases that day? It was assumed that the Capt. might have some idea of the need for every litre of fuel for that days' departure, unlikely as that seems today.

One of our noteable martinets was walking around the aircraft prior to departure and noticed a clutch of fruit baskets with the suitcases awaiting loading into the rear hold, and said to the loaders " nobody asked my permission to carry fruit, that one is mine, put it on and leave all the others behind"

On arrival at London, the crew bus driver went up the rear steps and told the crew that there was only 1 basket of fruit to put on the bus, where were all the others ? Eventually the Captain was told of the lack of fruit, and he explained that nobody had asked his permission, so he had given orders to leave them all behind, except his. When the crew left the aircraft they found a basket of fruit squashed under the wheels of the bus. "Terribly sorry Sir, said the driver, 'fraid I backed up and never saw it, I did"