PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 27th Jun 2014, 18:32
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I suspect that chickenlovers shot was taken at Holtville (due East of El Centro). With Blue Angel training and other important stuff I believe Holtville became the "DZ of choice" for the RAF dets. I also suspect that the chaps in the foreground are Falcons, on a pre season work up. The "El Centro " I did had the Falcs, and as I remember a bunch of Pathfinders doing HALO training and a few Hooligans. We got airborne, the Falcs got out on the way up, around 10k, then we continued upwards for the HALO. Not too sure what the drop altitude was, Ex Ascoteer would have more knowledge on that. I remember one day when I opted to stay on the ground watching a Pathfinder chap have a malfunction. I was stood right next to one of the Falcs who said, "don't look Smudge, it's not nice", so I watched as the bloke struggled to cut away the primary chute that had wrapped around him, and eventually deployed his reserve. As I remember a pop, one swing and he landed. He strained his ankle, but was back jumping the next day. Had that been me I suspect I would have PVR'd just after landing.

Gopher01. Why does your post sound familiar to me ? I suspect it reflects the way that Albert (and its people) always "sorted" themselves out, and often to the chagrin of the local reps.

On the subject of "US dets", I remember doing a det with 47SF where we spent part of the month away operating from 29 Palms Marine Corps Air base. Landing on what seemed like PSP on loose sand was interesting, and as we were a bit heavier than the incumbent F18 s, we were asked to alternate our landing directions, so as not to move the PSP too far. I remember watching a bow wave of PSP/decking lift and move in front of us when I stood on the flight deck for landing a couple of times. The accomodation was off base at a hotel that had a number of themed cabins, the crew were very gracious in allocating me a cabin next to a swamp, which had a front porch fully equipped with hammock, an essential for GE rest.

Smudge

Last edited by smujsmith; 27th Jun 2014 at 18:45.