PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Proposed Bomber Command Memorial in Lincoln
Old 27th Jun 2014, 13:23
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
Wensleydale;-
This is the "Lincolnshire Bomber Command Memorial" and is dedicated to those who flew from Lincolnshire within Bomber Command....it is only those lost flying from Lincolnshire airbases who will be commemorated.
Then with respect I find that rather sad and, as I said previously, parochial. There never was a Lincolnshire Bomber Command, BC itself straddled the country and, if you include its OTUs not just in the east. Of course it could be dedicated merely to the Groups with Squadrons based within the county, but what of the others? It seems so needlessly divisive.

If another BC Centre was established in York, say, that would still leave others in the Campaign unrepresented, and the real story of the campaign as a whole untold, while creating a needless duplication of effort. No doubt this will get local support and local approval, but I would urge those involved to reconsider. Far better for a National Bomber Command Centre to be established, albeit in Lincolnshire. The sacrifice was prodigious but was not for any one county in particular but for the country as a whole. It should be remembered as such.