PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jobs in Africa (2011 onwards) part 3.
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2014, 12:59
CAPSLOCK.1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I second what the other posts say.

Companies will see you as someone with life, and possibly even more importantly, work experience. The only detracting factor will be if you have a wife or family that you intend to bring with you as visa issues and work permits might be hard to get.

Companies would also probably attempt to make use of your maturity by giving you management duties alongside the flying.

The charter operations here in Namibia and Botswana are crewed by pretty young pilots. Even the chief pilots, training captains tend to be fairly young. As long as you don't approach with things with the attitude that "I'm older, I know better", it shouldn't be a issue. The way I have always seen things, experience (hours, life and operational) and maturity in and out of the cockpit, count for way more than the number someone's ID starts with.

If you are okay being "junior" to someone significantly younger (as long as they have the industry experience and professionalism to back up their position), then go for it. Your age won't count against you.