PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Japan (AJX) B767
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2014, 10:37
Fratemate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We've got a couple of guys who had a play in the sandpit but decided they didn't like it. On the plus side, EK etc have a MUCH bigger network than AJX and they're flying nicer machines (although you won't find better maintained and cared for aircraft anywhere else in the world than in Japan). Their salary is tax-free and, of course, accommodation provided etc but that's only because no-one would go and live in the desert and fly for them if they didn't provide those things. It's a long time since I looked at the EK deal but I think you'll be on equivalent or greater pay, especially as their command time has risen considerably. I would never come here thinking that you are going to be flying anything other than the 767 and that way you won't be disappointed. However, there are always rumours in the wind and the machine is getting a bit long in the tooth. With a reduction in fleet numbers and an increase in the 787s replacing them I think we may be switched to some other machine eventually but if you're desperate for a 777 then EK would be a better bet....but I'll take my schedule over their's any day of the week

I agree that it is a pain being away from home, particularly when on standby etc. If you live where you work then you can mow the lawn or whatever if you're not called but, away in Japan, you can't do anything particularly useful unless you're doing a degree course of something similar. However, your days off in AJX are sacrosanct and your time at home is undisturbed by the Company calling you to come in and work; something that cannot be said for Emirates etc. We don't necessarily get the same treatment as the ANA mainline pilots but I don't feel like I'm a slave to the Company and I certainly don't feel mistreated as the guys over on the ME forum seem to feel.

I think if you're young, free and single then Dubai might appeal. Lots of destinations in which to get yourself in trouble and a decent selection of aircraft. However, the desert wears very thin, very quickly (I'm bored after a week in Dubai) and if you've got a missus in tow then I reckon it's a completely different story. They've got to suffer the crap of living where they probably don't really want to live while we 'gallivant' off 'enjoying ourselves' (as they see it). My wife gave me an unequivocal 'NO' when I merely mentioned the possibility of the idea.....and that's from someone who's only had to enjoy a couple of holidays there.

Of course it's a very personal choice but this job allows me to live where my family and I want to live and for me to get the days off that I want to get. When you look at the sandpit, the same can't really be said.