PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Am I pursuing a doomed career ?
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2014, 10:25
ExpatBrat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As far as airline flying goes I really can't foresee the day when passengers will board without a human being at the controls.

But here's the thing you need to consider. The future for pilot jobs is in the far east and middle east. You would be very, very fortunate to be able to stay your whole career in a decent job in the UK.

When I started flying, slightly over 30 years ago in Canada, if someone had told me at some point I would have to move to the middle east and leave my country, my family, my friends....I don't think I'd have committed to this career. But they didn't because who knew? And I did commit and am happy and my job is very, very good and pays very, very well. FINALLY.

There used to be a joke, the day after you get your ATPL go get your truck driver's licence because you're gonna need it!

For those of us who stuck with it, I doubt any of us can imagine doing anything else. I can't think of a more rewarding profession. After all these years I'm still happy to go to work. But don't kid yourself, for years and years it's two steps forward, one step back.

If none of that fazes you then go for it. And best of luck!