PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Proposed Bomber Command Memorial in Lincoln
Old 27th Jun 2014, 10:04
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
You wait over 65 years for a Bomber Command Memorial and then they turn up in convoy like London buses! To be honest though, this is a Bomber Command Centre (shades of Bicester, Al?). Its job presumably is to house a permanent exhibition of items and information relative to the Bombing Campaign. In which case I hope that it is not restricted merely to Lancasters, or Lincolnshire, or both.

The campaign was bed-rocked on BFTS's and SFTS's (usually overseas), OTU's, HCU's, and finally the operational Squadrons (be they in Lincs, Yorks, or elsewhere). Of course, aircraft and munition factories, fuel depots, the Merchant Navy that suffered so greatly in supplying them, and many many others, were essential components as well.

It is that colossal organisation and allocation of scarce strategic resources that should be emphasised, as well as the sacrifice of those who volunteered for this very dangerous work, whether they happened to end up based in Lincolnshire or not, otherwise it is merely an exercise in parochialism. That is why I prefer Al's suggestion of Flamborough Head for such a centre (having failed with Bicester). Together with Beachy Head it was a shared coasting out point for BC, wherever based.

As to the roofline, I agree that it is more reminiscent of the Whitley, as already stated. If they are not structurally required, I would rather see the 'tail fins' removed.

Oh, I like the Spitfire one a lot!