PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Choice of plane for PPL
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2014, 09:56
gianmarko

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would buy that car over any car today, whether it had a stereo radio installed or just an AM radio.
as long as you are aware of the fact that a car like that would use a LOT of gas, and in case of accident with a modern car, you have a set of very good saints looking after you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joMK1WZjP7g

a local school uses morane Saulnier Rallye's and has now bought a PS28

PS28 is about 20% more expensive.

i flew both. the MS are very well maintained however they stink, have a very poor panel, very crappy performances and use a lot more gas. flying them is uncomfy, tiring and annoying. the intercom is so crap and the a/c so noisy that communication with the other guy is very difficult. they vibrate. yesm they fly, but it is not pleasant at all.

the PS28 has a moder panel (dynons), is quieter, has excellent radios and intercoms, doesnt stink. i can actually see outside. even with a fixed pitch prop, performances are miles ahead of the rallye. it has 6 hours endurance.
and btw, it has recovery parachute.

most students of the school now take the PS28.

i really dont see why when i go from my microlight to a GA plane is like going back in time 40 years. performancewise, sometimes 100 years.

is high time that the fleet of dynosaurs populating schools and clubs is upgraded to something more modern, comfy, faster, cheaper. doesnt have to be a PS28, there are excellent alternatives around.

Look at it the other way round.
If you were learning to drive and could go to a school at £30 a lesson on a 1980 car or a brand new one at £40 a lesson wich would you choose? I think most would accept the older car as long as the maintenance was ok. This is actually where we are.
The syllabus may be in some parts similar but it is a long way from being identical. The flying hours and syllabus in gaining a microlight licence is only 25hours with also much reduced ground school syllabus.
depending on the country, syllabus is virtually identical,

as for the hours, i think 45 hours is gross overkill, a number pulled out of a mysterious hat

i heard that in the military, if you dont solo after 8-10 hrs, there is a serious problem with you.

when i learned to fly back in the 80es, on ML of course, i soloed after 4 hours. course was 8 hours. we all survived. all the rest is just theory and doesnt need dozens of hours of expensive flight time.

i have my own ML and i have been a bit everywhere in europe, with around 700 hours.

2 years ago i decided to take a PPL, just to have a recognized international license.

why do i need to spend several thousands euro just cruising around with an instructor that himself declared has nothing to teach me?

i know it doesnt work like this everywhere, but in italy for instance, a ML pilot with 3000 hours still needs to log 45 (and pay) hours to get a ppl.