Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
assumption: flight ends with spiral

From the report
http://www.atsb.gov.au/media/4911984...370-report.pdf

"- loss of radio communications
- long period without any en route manoeuvring of the aircraft
- a steadily maintained cruise altitude
- fuel exhaustion and descent
This suggested that, for MH370, it was possible that after a long period of flight under autopilot
control, fuel exhaustion would occur followed by a loss of control without any control inputs.
Note: This suggestion is made for the sole purpose of assisting to define a search area.
The determination of the actual factors involved in the loss of MH370 are the responsibility
of the accident investigation authority and not the SSWG
Also allowing for the fact that a maximum glide distance of 100+ NM would result in an
impractically large search area, the search team considered that it was reasonable to assume that
there were no control inputs following the flame-out of the second engine. Accordingly the aircraft
would descend and, as there would be some asymmetry due to uneven engine thrust/drag or
external forces e.g. wind, the descent would develop into a spiral."

I still haven't got that. Maybe because I'm just a CPL/MEPL, but why should fuel exhaustion under autopilot end in a spiral dive? Is the auto pilot on the B777 completely disconnecting on fuel starvation? I'd guess the Ram Generator would deliver the power for autopilot + controls, the envelope protection of the AP would prevent a stall and the AP would maintain the track. That would place the center of the search area about 100 NM forward in flight direction.