PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Free breakfast on Sat 28th June for serving or retired members.
Old 27th Jun 2014, 08:54
Tankertrashnav

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry Matelo you are way out there. The nearest I've been to the Savoy or anywhere like it is an occasional stay at a Premier Inn and it's likely to stay that way. You have no idea what "class" I may or may not belong to - suffice it to say my dad was an AA man, we lived in a bog standard semi and I was state educated.

I appear to be in a minority in this thread

A few points - I'm as likely to post positive comments as negative on here. Just posted very positively about the efforts to get a good attendance at a WW2 Air gunner's funeral, as a recent example

Secondly - pompous? Well I've never been called that before - anyone who has ever met me might have a few other choice words to say about me WW, but pompous wont be one of them.

My point is this. I am heartily sick of this false adulation of the armed forces. As far as I can see this is a reaction to the disdain in which they used to be held, when, for example troops returning from Vietnam were routinely spat on. I'll concede a free breakfast is better than being spat on, but personally I'd prefer neither. It's nice to see a town coming out and welcoming a regiment back from Afghanistan, and I thoroughly approved of the crowds lining the streets of Wootten Basset. But when it gets to the point that it has apparently reached in the USA where soldiers in uniform are applauded in airports (even though they may be transferring from one US base to another) then I think it's time to call a stop.

Anyway, I'm often out on a limb in the Islamophobic threads which abound on here, so I'm getting quite used to it!

Wensleydale - you have confirmed my original point - a cheap way to advertise.

TTN