PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2014, 21:13
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
Harrym, indeed a veritable tour de force! Thank you for painting such vivid pictures, of freezing Nissan huts, of the confusion of war (one day set for Bomber Command, then to interior decorating, and then to become that acme of the aviation scene, a transport pilot!

Your delight in your, straight out of the factory, state of the art, and above all warm and snug new office strikes a chord. That was exactly how I felt about the brand new Hercules C Mk1's that I encountered at 242 OCU, RAF Thorney Island, itself the nearest thing that the RAF had to compare to a UK holiday camp. Though the product of Mr Lockheed rather than Mr Douglas, it shared the same high standards of ergonomic design that you so well describe. Handling it compared more with a fighter rather than the heavy inputs required to the non-power assisted Hastings controls, where you could count to five before the bank that you had commanded manifested itself. Like your Dak, the Herc outshone the home products completely.

Talking of the Hastings, I must admit to some confusion. I remember the Zero Reader being fitted to a very few Hastings and not being overly impressed. My old Pilots Notes refer to it being fitted only to the Mk4. The only Mk4's that I ever flew were as a co-pilot seconded from 48 Sqn to FECS in the mid 60's. I have WJ's 322, 325, 333 and 336 in my log book. Is it possible that all four existing Mk4's were based at Changi by then (replaced elsewhere by VIP Andovers perhaps)?

Oh, speaking of Pilots Notes, herewith the Dakota I and III to illustrate (as if it were needed) your splendid piece, for which much thanks again:-

A.P. 2445A & C - PN - Pilot's notes for Dakota I & III