PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice needed for a "Soon to be Mechanic"
Old 26th Jun 2014, 18:49
Tech_Log

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi there.

The companies I can think of, off the top of my head, is British Airways Maintenance Cardiff and British Airways Maintenance Glasgow, which are heavy maintenance facilities (C & D check types plus occasional modification work) at the respective airports.

If I remember correctly they were recruiting mechanics quite recently. Otherwise BA down at Heathrow is an option but not for heavy maintenance, the heaviest that's done down here is a B check. There is a single 767 heavy maintenance line however with the fleet reducing in size not sure how long term its future is. Plus most people who've joined as mechanics haven't gone to there so you could risk ending up somewhere you don't want to be like cabin maintenance or A check line overnight.

KLM in Norwich, Flybe in Exeter and Monarch (I'm pretty sure) do heavy checks too if that's what you are looking for.
Heavy maintenance is an excellent way to get to know aircraft and in depth problem solving and develop your hand skills in your early career, however it's not a fast paced environment (well...from my experience) so depends what kind of environment you enjoy.

Safe flying.
Tech_log.

Last edited by Tech_Log; 26th Jun 2014 at 18:55. Reason: More info