PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gear Up Landings
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2014, 13:53
ExpatBrat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Years ago, at Voyageur, a number of us flew the Cheyenne and the King Air A-100. You might have found yourself flying passengers on the King Air or the bag run or medevacs on either one. So one day it could be one type and the next day the other one.

We did a lot of quick turns, like 5 or 10 minutes. You would stop, shut down #1 and throw the bags out then get going again. Some crews, against company policy and basic airmanship, would start the after landing checks while still rolling out. On one type the gear lever was where the flap handle was on the other one. One time, the crew went to put the flaps up (on the King Air if memory serves) but instead grabbed the gear handle and guess what? The gear came up....rolling out after landing and still on the runway. It theoretically shouldn't have but it did. The Captain pushed the thrust levers up and they took off again, after bouncing off the runway. They did a lot of damage but lived. However it could have been a lot worse. They could have been hurt or worse.

The point I am making is that checklists are there for a reason. If nothing else they slow a pilot down so he doesn't do something stupid.

To the young pilots starting out, use them. Disregard the poster who implied that a hiring airline will be more impressed by your ability not to need one. That is b.s. At my airline, and every other one I've worked for (and that's quite a few now I'm afraid) if you did that on your interview sim they wouldn't hire you.

Plus...you'll live longer and you can get to the end of your career because of old age and without ever having heard the sound of bending metal.