PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - After the PPL
Thread: After the PPL
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2014, 11:29
Corsican

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I fly out of Denham and passed in March. I then did about 5-7 solo flights (you can't take pax up until you actually receive your licence) doing some short navs and landaways (I really enjoyed my first landaway as I got to choose the destination, plan etc.) as well as circuits/general handling/PFLs to practice.

Actually, flying around on your own after your test is not bad as you don't have the sub-conscious safety net of an instructor next to you or "pressure" prior to the test, you can just enjoy it and properly apply what you learned. I also find I am constantly reading up/asking questions on things that were briefly covered during instruction to ensure I properly understand them in practice, not just sufficiently for the test (some is more important than others).

After that, I realised that flying around on my own is nice but in a C152 and a headwind, you are not going anywhere fast. Having company is nice so I converted to the PA28 and started going for longer navs (e.g. Bembridge, Old Buckenham and Le Touquet - it's good to go away from the local area) with someone else who passed their test a little before me. Good for the budget, experience and flying with another pilot splits the load.

I have wondered about a share in a plane but plan on spending at least this year and next building experience and confidence, unless I win the lottery (ha!). Still trying to define where to take this, e.g. touring, visiting airfields, aeros etc. which might determine the type of plane to get a share in.

Stapleford is nice and seems to have a lovely variety of a/c; I was given a 40 mn flight there in a Tiger Moth as a birthday present and loved it. Would love to do that again or in a PT-17 but will need to learn the tail-dragger thing.

Enjoy and good luck!