PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2014, 08:39
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
Danny, now that you mention it, it is rather curious how determined he seems not to even touch the controls. Any pilot would know that his mentor would be following through (as indeed he is told) and that there was no risk involved. Of course, he also knew that his efforts would be on video for posterity and probably didn't want it to show him making a complete Horlicks...

Your Flyer link leads to this post by Grim Reaper:-
http://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic....arren#p1259346
I'm sure you have already, but if you haven't heard the story of his service, do ask him. I don't think I've ever felt so humble (Synopsis: 114 combat ops....impaled into his seat after a crash landing in Norfolk, his crew outside shouting "get a move on you lazy b****rd!". Stomach reconstruction, finishes his 4th tour as a rear gunner because his stomach muscles weren't strong enough for the rudder; pops off a Ju88. In between ops 114 and 115-120, becomes the road manager for Glenn Miller's band. Amazing.)
As for the squadron badge, your eyes are better than mine, for I cannot say that I can make anything much out of his lapel badge at all. If indeed it is a fox mask, then that was 12 Squadron (bombers) flying Lancasters out of Wickenby as shown here:-

Royal Air Force Heraldry Trust, the Squadron Badges List

No. 12 Squadron RAF - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We have many skilled researchers here on PPRuNe, unlike me. I'm sure that one will be along soon...

Edited to add that what this story does highlight is the excellent work done by Project Propeller, now in its 15th year of getting WW2 veteren aircrew airborne again. Respect! :-

http://www.projectpropeller.co.uk/

Last edited by Chugalug2; 26th Jun 2014 at 09:15. Reason: Link to Project Propeller