PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AirTanker First Officers
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2014, 07:44
BEagle

Received 328 Likes on 115 Posts
I think you'll find that, due to the lengthy time it took to get Voyager into service, ATr acquired a 'green', plain vanilla non-Voyager A330 for military contract passenger / freight work, so at least they could garner some revenue at the time.

All ATr A330s will be Voyagers; I gather than the non-Voyager A330 will eventually be returned to Airbus.

The aircraft which Thomas Cook will operate is one of the 5 'surge' fleet aircraft - if I recall correctly, the RAF will operate 9 x Voyagers and the others will, like the TC aircraft, be leased out for third party revenue generation. However, I suspect that one significant benefit of the deal for ATr is the availability of more civilian aircrew to augment those flying their A330. Plus more cabin crew who actually want to be cabin crew.....

But if the poo hits the fan and there is an urgent need to generate all 14 aircraft as tankers, I suspect that the engineering work will be less of a problem than generating CR AAR crews - including the required training to bring the 'sponsored reservist' mercenaries up to speed.

Although quite what 14 tankers would be refuelling in today's pale shadow of an air force, is difficult to imagine. NATO interoperability would at least be much improved if, say, 3 x Voyagers were delivered with 2 pods and a boom...

I note that AiM are to fly an 'enhanced' A330MRTT in 2 years' time. Perhaps by then they might have a mission system which actually works....

Last edited by BEagle; 26th Jun 2014 at 07:55.