PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB update on Asiana 214
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2014, 20:57
emjanssen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello Porterhouse,

Your are probably right that I am missing some points on all that fly by wire stuff. I am flying the old lady with her old fashion cables.

And YES I ment THEY in stead of HE.

BUT is it an academic exercise?

When I look at the NTSB video. I see at 560 an aircraft on centre-line, on speed and on glide-path, with not enough thrust with a high rate of descent (although not dramatic). I dare to say this happens many times a day in the world, for several reasons. Most of those flights increase power and land normally. Some of them probably do that while knowing that the should have made GO-ARROUND because they were not stabilized at 500ft. A few of them might even have the same problem as the ASIANA guys but were saved by an AT, because that time they made other MCP selections.

I think it's quite interesting to try to find out WHY the Asiana guys did not increase power earlier.

Do you agree that the system must have kicked in?

I am not saying it was a contributing factor........I am just keeping the option open.

I don't agree with your remark about the weather. Weather we can't control........we can however control system design.