PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Am I pursuing a doomed career ?
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2014, 19:50
HawkHopeful98

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I pursuing a doomed career ?

I'm new here , so feel free to point out if I am in the wrong forum or any other discrepancies .

I'm 16 years and for the last two years I have been seriously interested in becoming a pilot , hopefully in the UK military , but civil flying would not put me off .
I believe that I've taken all the right steps - studying hard in Science and Maths subjects , keeping physically fit and healthy and joining the Air Training Corps to exploit the opportunities for flying time . I've also got my hands on as much aviation/aerospace related reading material as possible .

However , one thing keeps coming back to worry me . By the time that I can actually attempt to join a military or civil pilot training program , will 'pilot' still be a viable or sensible career path to take ?
The rapid development of UAVs seems to point towards a future in which the physical pilot sitting in the cockpit becomes less and less important . The US has already flown F-16s remotely , Sikorsky has developed an totally autonomous UH60A Blackhawk demonstrator and there are now numerous unmanned air combat vehicle demonstrators such as BAE Taranis , the X47B and nEUROn .
Even Civil airliners , which are a few years behind the technology of the military I guess , could be switched to remote pilots in booths on the ground .

So to summarize my question : Will flying an aircraft as a professional , in the aircraft , become an obsolete career in the near future ? If so , is there any point in me pursuing such a career ?

Many thanks and sorry for posting such a drawn out question .