PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Beaufighter wreck found off Broome
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2014, 17:31
Dora-9

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts
The RAAF was made to scuttle a whole heap by the RAF at the end of WW2. There'll be more.
Sprocket,

Really? Do you have any facts or data please to back this up? While I'm wary of ever saying never, I'm skeptical of this assertion.

Did the RAF ever actually "own" these aircraft? Leaving aside the 365 DAP-built Mk.21's, the RAAF received a total of 218 UK-built Beaufighters, comprising the Mk.Ic, VIc, X and XIc. Although allocated an RAF serial on the production line, my understanding is that they all went directly from the factory to an MU for dis-assembly and packing prior to being shipped here, i.e. they were never Taken On Charge by the RAF.

A quick trawl through the marvelous ADF Serials website reveals that all the survivors post war were allocated to either 5 AD Forest Hill (Wagga) or 7 AD Tocumwal. There they remained until being Struck off Charge and Reduced to Components (i.e. scrapped) in 1948/1949.

I can find no reference anywhere to them being "dumped at sea", although admittedly my library isn't that extensive on this subject. It does, however, take a huge stretch to imagine them being transported from inland NSW to the waters off Broome.

Over to you....