PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SilkAir releases 8 expatriate pilots
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2003, 17:03
thegypsy
DIRECTOR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thermal Image Yes indeed I am sure SIA would like to get rid of the most expensive Pilots ie those on the top scale who are mostly Locals,but there would be an uproar from those usually 'subservent' pilots I think that even the CEO could not ignore.

Expats are on the same payscales as locals,but have rent allowance and education allowance ,and an ex-pat allowance,whilst all locals are in the CPF scheme whereas only expats who have been in SIA for about 7 years or more are in it. The others are in the PF scheme which costs SIA less and those who have joined in the last 18months or so have no scheme at all,so depending on whether they have children at school they are very cheap Pilots indeed,so in pure 'Economic ' terms those last in are the lowest paid.
Locals progress to the top scales whilst very few ex-pats will ever get anywhere near them.
The difference between the lowest payscale and the top is huge,far greater than in most Airlines and I guess now is the time for SIA to attack this.SIA will as always take full advantage of this crisis to further erode the T&C of all Pilots,which one of the 'armchair' Generals hates with a passion.