PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Logging Flight Time - EASA vs FAA
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2014, 11:55
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
I think that perhaps there's some dodgy interpretation of their own rules going on in FAAland...

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/...AND%20TIME.pdf

Says..

According to the Federal Register there are only three ways a private or commercial pilot can properly log pilot-in-command time.

1. When the pilot is the sole manipulator of the controls of an aircraft for which the pilot is rated.

2.When the pilot is sole occupant of the aircraft.

3. When the pilot is acting as pilot-in- command of an aircraft for which more than one pilot is required under the regulations under which the flight is conducted....

A private or commercial pilot may log PIC time if that person is "the sole manipulator of the controls of an aircraft for which the pilot is rated" [61.51 (e)(1)(i)]....

Normally, a safety pilot, required by regulations, who scans for traffic for a pilot flying under simulated instrument conditions is not pilot-in-command and thus logs second-in-command. However, if the two pilots agree that the safety pilot is designated pilot-in-command, the safety pilot/pilot-in-command may log PIC since he is the pilot responsible for the operation and safety of the aircraft. The pilot flying is "sole manipulator of the controls for which the pilot is rated"" and may also log PIC. Therefore, two private pilots may log PIC under these conditions.

However, the safety pilot/pilot-in-command must realize that anything that occurs during the flight is his responsibility. .....

However, two pilots may not simultaneously log PIC when one pilot is sole manipulator of the controls and the other is acting as pilot-in-command if the regulations governing the flight do not require more than one pilot...............

A student pilot can now log PIC. That’s new, and since there is no restriction, your logbook can be updated so that all student solo time prior to August 4, 1997 may be logged as PIC. When an instructor is aboard, since the student is not rated in the aircraft, flight instruction is still logged as dual not PIC.
Personally I've never logged PiC in FAAland with an instructor on board - it just seems totally dishonest and I'm pretty certain that they've always touched the controls at some point, and anyhow, it's still hours.

Looking at FAR51-51 (http://www.flightsimaviation.com/dat...art_61-51.html), it seems pretty clear that a student flying with an instructor CANNOT log PiC, whether they're authorised solo or not.

G