PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Perfect Example Of CASA Outrageaous Behaviour?
Old 25th Jun 2014, 11:03
Andy_RR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, doesn't that mean that all pilots need to be screened for colour vision deterioration, or is it just those that are initially CVD that suffer these other eye conditions?

FWIW, I am red-green (not sure whether prot. or deut.) but I know that when I wear my slightly-green-tinted prescription sunnies, I can pick ripe bananas in Woolies, whereas without, I am guessing - I don't know whether this is deleterious to air safety... Does this mean though that sunnies should be banned from the flight deck?

Anyway, for those that are, those that might be or those that don't know, here's a fun test to see if you have any CVD symptoms. Not definitive by any stretch, but it might give some a better understanding of what it means to be CVD

(source: - http://www.city.ac.uk/health/researc...ur-vision-test)

You have to watch the coloured splodge and note when it disappears and reappears. For me it disappears between 0:21-0:22 and again at 1:07-1:09. That's enough for me to fail Ishihara as well as Farnsworth, although I'd like to have another crack at that.

I do actually wonder how much CVD is self-taught in youth. Having grown up "knowing" I couldn't tell the difference between red and green lights, I didn't really even try.