PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SilkAir releases 8 expatriate pilots
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2003, 15:27
Thermal Image

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thegypsy:

>>Thermal Image You are confusing locals lack of mobility which is totally different to an ex-pat having less job security. Yes as an ex-pat I can return home or seek a job elsewhere,whereas I recognise in Singapore you are giving up one hell of a lot by leaving. As PM Goh says are you a stayer or a quitter?? How about his daughter???

Whatever you want to call it, "job security" to the locals usually means: fly for SIA or don't fly, whereas to the expats it usually means: fly for SIA or someone else, but still fly. This is based on my observation that expats come and go but remain pilots (most of the time). Locals come and go but once they go they stop flying (most of the time). Not talking about retirement or medical reasons here, but change of employer.

>>However in SIA Locals have permanent contracts and yes you can be terminated at 3 months notice but in practice this only happens to locals such as the SQ6 incident and say the A310- which went off the end of the runway at Kuching. In all other respects you are fairly safe in your employment.

The contract is not quite "permanent". It does not have an end date, but this does not quite make it "permanent". Either party can give 3 months notice or payment in lieu. How permanent can that be? The clause to terminate the contract is there, just because it has not been exercised much (until now) does not mean it will not be used.

"Safe in your employment" is a mere perception at best, particularly now.

>>I cannot believe that any locals will be terminated in the present crisis until all ex-pats have gone.

I haven't looked at the payscales lately. Do expat payscales start only after the local payscales end? Or is there an overlap? Because BSK had intimated (around the time he came on board)that he just can't see what value some locals add - referring to those at the top of their payscales, being ordinary line captains, grumpy and troublesome.

That could mean he'd rather sack these useless decrepit locals rather than expats who may cost less.