PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB update on Asiana 214
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2014, 23:03
sflaperons

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@BOAC If you ever do find the design rationale for not including airspeed protection in FLCH mode, please do post it. I've searched in vain. At first I thought I was overlooking something basic but the more I searched the more it seemed to be the product of maintaining an internally coherent design philosophy that most pilots aren't really conscious of. Which I doubt is a complete answer.

@those who think it would be dangerous to include airspeed protection in FLCH mode, please explain how this would be so, particularly in light of the fact that some form of speed protection is included in every other mode. See also airbus (no need to start a B v. A war though; I'm not saying A is better; just that airspeed protection whenever the A/T is on is possible).

@those making the argument that B didn't take away the protection in FLCH mode because it was never there, that's a semantic point--it doesn't answer the question. If you prefer the question be rephrased as "why was airspeed protection given in every other mode but not FLCH mode," so be it.

@those who think it doesn't matter if you have airspeed protection or not because you're suppose to watch your airspeed, that's a point about culpability, not an answer to the question.

All-caps disclaimer: I'M NOT TRYING TO ABSOLVE THE PILOTS AND I'M NOT TRYING TO BLAME BOEING.

Rather, like BOAC, I am genuinely curious as to the design rationale behind no airspeed protection in FLCH mode.

Last edited by sflaperons; 24th Jun 2014 at 23:05. Reason: typo