PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcan and money
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2014, 21:47
Shaggy Sheep Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Incidentally, I think that the current display is far more graceful and impressive than some of the clumsy, stress-inducing displays by VDF. Every time I saw the apple-spitting gibbon doing that stupid wing-waggle on climb out, I winced at the thought of the damage it was doing.
I have no idea who the 'apple spitting gibbon' is, but wing waggles don't impress me (I'm not qualified to assess what it does to a Vulcan airframe).

I remember the RAF displays at Barton and Woodford and they were so much more impressive for their demonstration of sheer power and noise than VTTS displays. To see a tennis-court-sized bomber thrown around the sky and stood on its tail at max power (which was felt in one's chest and through one's feet as the airfield itself vibrated) was something not to be forgotten.

You won't get that at a VTTS display, even if the flying is more 'professional'. They simply can't as they have to preserve the airframe and engines for as long as possible.

Ditch that. Go balls-out, even if just once, to show today's punters how impressive an unrestrained Vulcan can be, then ground her. She'll be grounded soon anyway so only those drawing nice salaries will suffer if she goes to a museum sooner rather than later.