PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pointless GAPAN.
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2003, 14:04
LowNSlow

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought the requirement under JAA to have a check flight or one hour with an instructor every 2 years to be a stupid rule.

When it was my turn I chose to have a check flight with an employee of the CAA. I found myself checking my flying and found a few bad habits. These habits had developed in the 5 years since I did my taildragger training. I managed to eradicate most of the bad habits developed whilst flying without let or hindrance from small grass fields within an hour or two (nothing major I hasten to add, I had just allowed myself to get a tad sloppy) and the check flight went without a hitch.

I now look forward to my next check flight and, even though I could go for an hour with an instructor, I will be going back to the former employee of the CAA.

The point that the PFA made regarding performance of some of the current generation of microlights is very valid IMHO. WHile the slow landing speeds are maintained, the cruise speeds in excess of those of a lot of "conventional" SEPs does need a different mindset to the cruise speeds of, say, a Thruster. I am sure that 99% of high performance microlight pilots will ensure that they are comfortable with their new aircraft through training / shared experience. I think that GAPAN are making a point that there are people who can get their PPL D and leap into a whizzer after training on a chugger.

Realistically though, how many people would do this? There are a few people who can afford a P-51 Mustang. Every one I'm aware of has gone the PPL / taildragger / Harvard / P-51 route. However, given that most of the modern micros seem to be designed to for ease of use, I think that some people could leap from a Thruster into a 120mph whizzbang as there isn't the obvious threat to one's life that is blatantly obvious when getting out of a C150 and into a P-51.

LNS dons flak jacket and kevlar helmet and ducks below the parapet.......