PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PRESTWICK
Thread: PRESTWICK
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2014, 21:25
ScotsSLF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The other point to take into consideration in relation to why Wizz etc moved to GLA is not so much distance from the city centre but the fact that GLA is much more aggressive in terms of attempting to attract airlines than they were under BAA. GLA have been losing out to EDI over the last few years and as a result the apron at Abbotsinch can be deserted at off peak times (with on occasion more planes on the ground at PIK!).

I would love to see the consultant's full report for the future of PIK as I am struggling to see how PIK can grow its passenger side without damaging GLA , something which the Scottish Government says it wont allow. My view is that the airport / airfield can go two ways:

1. A modest FR Pax operation which would mean that PIK holds on to the FR maintenance operation. As has been highlightrd before by SOE a new efficient terminal would be preferred with the old terminsl either demolished or turned into a National Museum of Flight?

2. Pax operations binned and the focus on freight, military, training, FBO, golf / Trump charters, fuel / tech stops, SAR, maintenance etc. and again the Museum of Flight idea appeals to me .

I do believe PIK as an airfield has a future and a profitable one but only in the right hands. Personally i'd be sad to see the pax flights go as its easy for me only living five minutes up the road but I am a realist